top of page

Four attempted raids in Ayr in one week, including one armed

ROBBERS are running wild in Ayr, as four robberies take place in just one week.

Police attended a robbery that had taken place on January 13th around 7.30pm, at Ladbrokes bookies in Ayr, tam's brig. The man involved was wearing a scarf over his face, which had scared the staff, he then reportedly made his way over the counter and made terrifying threats to the members of staff.

The cruel thieve made off with a three-figure sum, it was unknown where he ran off to. This incident didn't have any weapons and no one was injured say bosses of Ladbrokes store.

Detective Constable Grant Currie, from Ayr CID, said in a report:

“Thankfully no one was injured during the robbery, however, it was a very frightening experience for the staff and customers at the shop.

“Our enquiries are still at quite an early stage. We are analysing available CCTV and conducting interviews. I would appeal to anyone who was in the area of the bookmakers at the time of incident to contact police with any relevant information.”

On Sunday, armed response units from Prestwick Airport and Glasgow were called to an armed hold up at the McColl's store around 8pm in Ayr's Content Street, the shop is well known by locals for it's previous name "Craigie Stores" - this store is only one mile away from the bookies which had been attacked also, and half a mile away from the Ayr Police Station.

The so called robber raided the McColl's store with a handgun, he got as far as round the corner with a three figure sum, where officers traced the 22 year old, not so smart, Alistair Hood at "White City".

The Ladbrokes attempted robber is still on the run, as police search for him.

It doesn't end just yet...freight trains coming into Ayr are also on target as thieves break into a train carrying Tesco goods TWO times in 24hours. Some trains were re-routed due to Storm Frank damaging some other train routes - meaning the train was re-routed for Ayrshire.

The Tesco train became a target around 2.10pm as it stopped for a rail signal at Troon.

An Ayrshire Daily News reporter contacted Scotrail who said the train was at a standstill due to it being vandalised, which caused passengers of the rail giant's commuter trains to be transferred on to shuttle buses.

The passenger services between Ayr and Kilmarnock, and Glasgow to Edinburgh, were all delayed until 6pm Thursday, 14th of January. The same train was then attacked the next day as it moved on and stopped at Newton on Ayr.

The thieves linked to the train incidents have yet to be caught.

We contacted supermarket giant Tesco for comment.

Got a story? Or want us to cover your event? Email us at:


bottom of page