• Ayrshire Daily News

Ayr family offered £175 compensation after appliance goes up in flames and they lose their home


The devastated family has lost their home to the Hotpoint tumble dryer going up in flames.


The tumble dryer that caused the fire.

A tumble dryer which went a blaze has left an Ayr family of five kids and two adults devastated and homeless.

In November Hotpoint issued safety warnings regarding specific appliances, after over 400 blazes were known in Scotland.

Soldier, Michael Christie had just seconds to get out of the house with his one year old son Oliver and call the fire brigade.

Michaels partner Emma Goddard said she never thought it could happen to them.

Mum Emma arrived back home, completely un-aware of the incident, to which she seen her home in Dalmilling Crecent, Ayr, up in flames.

The machine Emma had was listed under the risk list, but Hotpoint claimed it was still safe to use.

The family of 7 have been put in an emergency house in a TWO bedroom flat in Rusell Drive by South Ayrshire Council - Emma had contacted Ayrshire Daily News regarding the state of the flat they were put in.

Emma said: "After we have lost everything, the Council think it's okay to put us in a flat with a smashed window and insects in the cupboards.

"I haven't slept in a week living here, I cannot cope, I'm so ill.

"When i requested they come out and see the state of the house i was told to adjust my attitude."

The family was offered £175 compensation from Hotpoint in regards to the incident, but in one condition - they get to pick up the dryer and dispose of it.


Forum Phones Ayr
Flamingo Exterior Cleaning
A to B Taxis Ayr
Ayrshire Vehicle Rental

Get news to your inbox. 

Send us your news! 

Reach out to 78k readers

  • Ayrshire Daily News
  • Ayrshire Daily News