Dark nights police security reminder
DARK NIGHTS - SECURITY REMINDER
With the clocks having been put back an hour, police in Ayrshire are encouraging residents to make sure they don’t ‘fall back’ with their home security too.
Earlier today (Sunday 28th October 2018) members of the Irvine Locality Policing Team were out and about providing residents and visitors with advice on home security.
Sergeant Jason Peter, of the Irvine Locality Policing Team, said “the darker nights provide thieves with an opportunity to work with less chance of being discovered.
“There are some simple precautions we can all take to reduce the chance of us falling victim to criminals.”
To keep your home safe after dark:
- Use timer switches on lights to make it look as if your home is occupied.
- Ensure all doors and windows are secure when you leave and when you go to bed.
- If possible use security lighting at the front and back of your property.
- Make sure all garden tools and ladders are locked away when not being used.
- Use a good quality lock on any garden sheds and outhouses.
- Make a note of all makes, models and serial numbers of expensive items in your home.
- Create a FREE and secure inventory of all your personal property at www.immobilise.com
- If you notice anything suspicious in your neighbourhood report it on 101.
For the latest crime prevention advice visit the ‘Keep Safe’ pages of the Police Scotland website at www.scotland.police.uk