E-Coli warning sent out to parents of Ayr Grammar pupils
Warning letters have been sent to parents of Ayr Grammar after a little girl at the school contracted E-Coli earlier this week
Health bosses are aiming to identify the source of the deadly bacteria e-coli, after the pupil at Ayr Grammar was diagnosed earlier this week.
The pupil who cannot be names is being treated in hospital in Glasgow and parents are being told to look out for symptoms from there child.
Dr Elvira Garcia, consultant in public health medicine said: “NHS Ayrshire & Arran is currently investigating a confirmed case of E.coli infection in a child attending a South Ayrshire school.
“The Public Health Department of NHS Ayrshire & Arran is working with the Environmental Health Department of South Ayrshire Council to identify possible sources. Investigations are on-going but currently there is no evidence to suggest this infection occurred at the school.
“As a precaution, the Public Health department has written to the parents of children attending the school, and who may have been in social contact with the individual, to offer general advice about signs and symptoms which may indicate an infection.”
The 0157 strain is often caused by eating contaminated food.
The symptoms of E.Coli infection can include stomach cramps, diarrhoea, nausea and fever.
Anyone who has symptoms should contact their family doctor (GP) or call NHS24 on 111 out-of-hours.