Irvine Fireworks Display License Rejected by North Ayrshire Council
North Ayrshire Council's licensing committee has rejected plans for a planned fireworks display to take place at Irvine Moor this year.
The application submitted by Thomson Event and Co to host the event on Friday was rejected at a specially-arranged meeting today within the council.
Councillors had fears over public order and public safety and felt that not enough preparation – in terms of things like traffic management plans, fire safety plans – had been provided by the applicants.
The decision was accepted by the applicants and they are now looking to meet with the Council and various partners to try and make sure that the event can go ahead next year.
David Thomson, the owner of Thomson Event and Co, said:
“We understand the decision and have spoken to representatives from the Council and Police Scotland. They have been very helpful with their advice.
“We hope to meet much earlier next year to assess the best available options for an event of this scale in Irvine.”
The council said the once annual event in Kilmarnock attracted around 30,000 visitors and an event in Irvine could be expected to attract similar numbers.
Councillor Ronnie McNicol, Convenor of the Licensing Committee, added:
“We felt this was the right decision to make. There were just too many variables.
“We hope this can be avoided and early preparation will ensure that they can host an event next year.”
You can find out more about other displays happening in Ayrshire by clicking here.