Police warn of vehicle thefts across North Ayrshire
POLICE WARN OF VEHICLE THEFTS - NORTH AYRSHIRE
Police Scotland are warning motorists in North Ayrshire to lock their vehicles and take everything of value with them when they park their car or van after a recent rise in thefts from vehicles.
In the past two weeks a number of vehicles have been entered by thieves and had property stolen from within.
Many of the recent thefts have been from unlocked cars – opportunistic thieves are taking advantage of owners who forget to lock their vehicle or don’t take an extra few seconds to remove their sat nav from display for example.
Locality Policing Officers in the area are urging motorists to be extra vigilant when securing vehicles and to report any suspicious behaviour. Police enquiries into recent incidents are continuing and anyone with information on those responsible is asked to contact Police Scotland by calling 101 or to call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111where anonymity can be maintained.
VEHICLE SECURITY ADVICE
- Lock your vehicle and keep the keys secure within your home away from the main entrances and not on open display.
- Remove valuable items from your car when unattended.
- Try to park your car in a well lit area.
- If you have security devices for your home and car use them at all times.
- Always use and lock gates and garages.
- Position movement sensor lighting to activate should anyone approach your vehicle or home.
If you notice anything suspicious in your neighbourhood call Police Scotland immediately on 101 (always dial 999 in an emergency).